Tuesday, June 16, 2009

An Ideal Mathematics Program for the Elementary Years

I have probably spent more time researching mathematics curriculums and teaching methods than I have spent researching all other curriculum elements combined. I feel that a solid grounding in mathematical skills, concepts and reasoning is critical for life in our complex society. I want my children to see mathematical problems as interesting puzzles, and themselves as capable problem solvers.
I have always enjoyed "figuring out" solutions to problems requiring mathematics. When I hit highschool mathematics, however, I floundered. In retrospect, I believe my failure to make a smooth transition to higher-level mathematics was the result of too much fragmentation in the middle years of my mathematics instruction. Between grades 4 through 9, I attended 6 schools, in 4 countries, with instruction in 3 different languages. No wonder I was confused! In a subject that builds upon itself incrementally as mathematics does, this was a sure recipe for disaster.
Maybe this background explains my obsession with finding the perfect math curriculum for my children--one that will cover all important concepts and operations, and equip them with confidence in tackling new mathematical challenges.
I have read hundreds of reviews, and examined dozens of texts. I have scoured sales and online sources for used curriculum to evaluate. I have found elements I like in many different curriculums: the manipulative presentation of Math-U-See, RightStart's development of number concept and mental imagery, Singapore's problem-solving strategies, Miquon's discovery process...My big problem is that I just can't bring myself to settle on any one of these programs to the exclusion of all others!
Then I discovered Math on the Level. This is a unique approach to mathematics, designed by a homeschooling mother. It is not another series of mathematics texbooks. Rather, it is a system that empowers me, as my children's teacher, to teach according to my children's maturation and abilities, to review concepts regularly but without kill-joy pages of worksheet problems, and to track concepts taught and reviewed in an orderly manner.
The program includes four teaching guides covering Operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc.), Geometry and Measurements, Money and Decimals, and Fractions. Taken together, all the concepts normally covered from Preschool through Pre-Algebra can be found in the teaching guides, together with explanation, teaching helps, and suggestions for ways to incorporate mathematics into your daily family activities. Two additional guide books, Math Adventures and Math Resources, round out the program with more teaching ideas and aids.
The true genius of this program, however, lies in the concept and record keeping charts. The concept chart lists every concept covered in the instruction guides, and allows you to track which concepts have been covered by each of your children; a sample sequence if provided if you want help knowing what order to cover the concepts in, but the program is really designed to be personalized--you can present each concept as your child is ready for it.
Now another piece of genius comes into play. Mastery of any concept, of course, requires practice. Once a concept has been taught, you write that concept into your child's review chart. You use this chart to write 5-a-Day review problems. These problems (you can write your own or use the problems provided in the book) allow your child to regularly practice new and not-so-new concepts. As your child becomes more comfortable with a concept, you can move it to a less-frequent review category. And of course you can drop the concept from that child's review when regular review is no longer needed. Again, flexibility is the key, the tracking system ensures thorough coverage and follow-through. And 5 problems a day should not feel too burdensome the child--I'm sure many children learn a hatred of math from the pages and pages of problems that are required by typical math programs! Of course, when teaching a new concept you can have your child work through as many problems as needed to establish thorough comprehension.
I love the way this program allows me to bring math into everyday life, without worrying that if we don't follow a textbook my child will miss out on something critical. I like the fact that I can pull elements from other math programs as needed, and take advantage of the teaching strengths of each program without feeling that my child must complete an entire textbook from that program. I intend to use the various mathematics curricula I have collected, as well as living books (check out Julie's site for some fabulous living math ideas), and many daily life experiences, as resources. And Math on the Level will help me pull everything together and keep it coherent.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review on this as I am considering this program. It helps to get insight from others with experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I've been floundering in how to help my oldest. He is having serious problems in math, which is bewildering to me because he used to be pretty good at it. (I think that last year in public school did more damage than I am realizing at the moment.) Anyway, I have switched back to RightStart, and actually have all three boys in the same book, but I would love to find something that really, really works for us. I'll check out this program. I've got some of the Singapore stuff, but it's too advanced for him at the moment (as I discovered after several sessions of frustration for both of us.)

    ReplyDelete